This robust potato salad has enough goodies in it to eat like a meal, although you can serve it as a side-dish as well. The herbed dressing and pickled ingredients lend a refreshing tang that enhances and lightens the flavor of the potatoes.
- 1/8 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Rice vinegar (plus a little extra for sprinkling)
- 2 tbsp Minced shallots
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp Fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsp Fresh marjoram, chopped (or 1/4 teaspoon dry)
- 8 oz Fresh green beans, trimmed
- 8 oz Fresh wax beans, trimmed
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup Red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Green olives, halved
- 1/2 cup Black olives, halved
- 1/4 cup Capers, drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Create a dressing by mixing the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and shallots in a glass bowl. Then whisk in 1 teaspoon each of parsley, basil and marjoram. Whisk in salt and pepper
- Steam the beans until they are crisp-tender.
- Steam the potatoes for about 12 minutes or until they are tender.
- Heat the dressing in a microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and sprinkle with a little rice vinegar.
- Pour half of the dressing over the potatoes and toss to coat them.
- Mound the potatoes in the center of a platter.
- Toss the beans and remaining dressing in the same bowl. Arrange the bean mixture around the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with onion, black and green olives, capers and the remaining herbs.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
- You can substitute white vinegar or malt vinegar for the rice vinegar.
Serves: 4 to 8
Preparation time: 60 minutes