While on the island of Maui, Hawaii, we found a wonderful restaurant called
Stella Blues Cafe. This recipe was inspired
by the mouth-watering breakfast we enjoyed there one morning. If you are ever in the area, be sure to include
a Stella Blues meal in your plans.
- 1 lb Firm tofu, cubed
- 1/2 Green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Stone-ground mustard
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Tarragon leaf
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Saute onion in olive oil until it starts to become translucent.
- Put tahini, water, and mustard in a small jar. Shake until tahini dissolves
(hold the jar up to check the size of the chunks that drift to the bottom).
- Add tahini mix, tofu, and spices to the onion. Cook for a few minutes to release flavors
and reduce the liquid somewhat.
- Add red and green pepper to the mixture. Cook until pepper starts to become tender.
- Stir in tomato just before serving.
- When selecting tofu for this dish, go for the extra-firm, fresh-packed variety.
They are usually sold in a sealed plastic tub with water surrounding the block of tofu. Our favorite brands are
Small Planet® and Island Spring®, but we've used other brands that worked fine too. Silken tofu of any
kind does not maintain its cubed shape very well when stirred with other ingredients.